Monday, November 10, 2008

Repentence a gift from God !

Wow, I cannot believe that repentance is taught seventy-one times in the Doctrine and Covenants, that is amazing how one can read something and not even catch something that is stressed seventy-one times. I also looked up the definition of mechanism. “The sequence of steps in a chemical reaction,” I really enjoyed this definition, as I thought of repentance like this. I was reminded that we have to complete all of the steps in order for the chemical reaction to work. For example, without faith, the first principle of the gospel, we would have no desire to repent and so on. A great scripture that was mentioned was D&C 15: 6 and D&C 16:6 . I remember so many times during my mission when I was discouraged or even let down by someone we had been teaching. Turning to this scripture gave me comfort to know that when it is all said and done I was doing what would be of the most worth to me. To be honest since I have been off my mission I have not been as good as I should be at declaring repentance to those around me. I have to remember that it will always be my duty to declare repentance to those I come in contact with. I sure am glad that the Lord feels so strong about repetition; I can be so forgetful at times I am happy to come across the same things over and over again. I believe that repetition is how we personally keep ourselves in check. I feel just as Elder Burton on this subject, how you can say that you have repented of your sins but you still feel guilt and sorrow. It must be the natural instinct of men to feel this way when we know we are hurting someone who cares about us. We have to remember that the lord promises that he will forgive us and remember our sins no more, “D&C: 19.” I know that when God makes a promise he keeps it no matter what. Therefore, when we truly repent, God will completely forgive us and our guilt will be swept away. I personally believe that the second step is the hardest part only because normally you hurt people that you love the most. To go and tell them what you have done often is relieving and peaceful. But how does the person that you have hurt for so long feel? I also believe that restitution should take place with every little sin. This is the second step. What do you think about this? I believe that the lord is just and fair, and that is why it takes more effort and is harder to repent for more serious transgressions. I just loved the example Elder Burton used with a cut on your arm. I know that we have to be patient during this process and we have to look forward to the day when we will again be free from the guilt that weighs us down. We must not dwell on our sins because it will only make us feel unworthy and feel that God does not care about us and no longer loves us. I also believe that as we learn to always abound in good works and strive to make good choices we will begin to live as a true disciple of Christ and put off the natural man. A question I have about the last step is: when we meet someone we care about and love and will possibly spend the rest of our life’s with, at what point do you tell them things you have done before in your life that could affect them? I do believe that our Father in Heaven loves and cares about the smallest things in our life. He wants to reach out and help us overcome our sin.
Repentance- A Gift From God. President Benson had some great insights. I never thought that Godly sorrow could be one of the gifts of the spirit. Now that I take a second to think about it, why would it not be. The Lord only gives us gifts to help us progress while in this earthly state. I just do not understand how that gift would be used? Would you be able to help others feel Godly sorrow as part of your gift? Wow, I loved when he said, “Godly sorrow is a prerequisite for repentance.” There is a lot of meaning behind that sentence. Do you have any insights? And/or what are your thoughts on those insights? What is President Smith implying when he says, “He has lost something which can never be regained.” Another great sentence is, “how many people that live in their sins try to hide behind them.” Do we really think that we can hide from God? We might be rich and loved in this world for being a sinner and a liar. But there will truly be no reward in our Father’s house. I believe the sinner will be with the sinners and will be unhappy and will in every sense of the word be dammed. Now I know what you are thinking you can’t say that. Let’s think about it when something it dammed it cannot move, it is stopped in one spot. If we fail to repent we will not be able to progress; we truly will be stuck and will be dammed. We must also do all we can to live like the prophets. We cannot just do well because we will face this great punishment if we do not obey. We must follow the Saviors example and be obedient because we love God and strive to be with him and with our families forever.
Repentance Makes Us Free. I believe that we are all guilty of making excuses for ourselves when we sin. I know that I am guilty of this. I have so many times said, “if only my body didn’t make me do that;” when really my body was strong the whole time. I want to share an example of this; I do this in all humility. During my mission I was given an assignment to watch over others missionaries. During this time we had wonderful missionaries in our mission that for the most part tried to do what was right. There was one elder that I was always worried about. I would wake up in the middle of the night worried about him. One night I awoke at three in the morning with a horrible feeling that we needed to go down to this elder’s apartment. He had been doing things that jeopardized his missionary service. Him and the mission president worked things out. Then two weeks later I started waking up in the middle of the night again, worried about this Elder, and again we caught him doing the same thing that had jeopardized his missionary service weeks before. I spent every minute with that Elder until he got on a plan to go home. I asked him why he gave in to the temptations he told me that he was physically being an Elder by going out working during the day. In other words his body was strong. Then at night his spirit gave into the temptations. He explained it as if his body knew the whole time he should not be involved in what he was doing. Truly the body is strong it is only when we first give in through the spirit. It goes right along with repenting in the spirit world. We are told it will be harder first of all because we will not have our physical bodies. I don’t completely understand this so if you have any insights I would love to hear them. If you want to read more about this a great talk is second chance theory by Elder Bruce R. McConkie look it up, it has a great explanation. I completely agree that no unclean thing can be in the presence of God the Father. If there is any desire to live with your Father in the life to come we must repent now and put off the natural man. I am reminded that God knows all, and strives for us to be with him and our families. We must repent now in order to live with him, which we know is the greatest gift God has to offer his children!
Repentance: To Gethsemane and back: First, what a great story of the healing power of the lord Jesus Christ. The general authority that told the boy the truth had such great courage. That young boy would have gone on a mission and it would have done him no good. I believe that repentance takes a lot longer than we sometimes think. I also believe that when we walk to Gethsemane and back, and truly forsake our sins, the healing power takes place. I do not know of a more powerful experience then the one shared. Lets make sure that we apply it into our lives by repenting and doing all we can to live like the Lord would live. One last story I have was when I got into the mission field. I was excited and enthusiastic about the gospel. I went into my first area and the members did not want to help us with missionary work. My companion and I set up appointments with all the members to stop by for a short visit. We read everything we could about the Atonement. We came across a quote by Elder Eyring that said, “If you are talking about anything that matters you are talking about the Atonement.” We then tied missionary work into the Atonement. We committed members to repent of all of their sins, with emphasis on missionary work. There were mixed feelings among the members in the ward. Some chose to be angry when we told them to repent. When we spoke with the bishop he thanked us and told us that the members should have been telling one another to repent. We must warn all for the kingdom of God is at hand.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are some great thoughts ... one of which is new to me. I have never thought of our spirit as being the weak link at times. I'll have to think about the implications of that for a while! Thanks!

In response to Presidents Smith's quote, (“He has lost something which can never be regained.”) it is important that we really understand what he is saying because otherwise it could cause feeling of despair in some people. I think we need to look at this quote as a motivation not to sin, but not to focus too much on it after we already have sinned.

Here is my interpretation: when we do any act, that act has been done, there is absolutely no taking it back. History is history, and it cannot be changed. This thought can be pretty devastating at first to the sinner. But the other side of the story is that it is all in the plan. Who is there that has been perfect from all eternity to all eternity? .. NOBODY! God the Father says that He was once like us. Jesus Christ had to learn from one degree to the other UNTIL He had gained a fullness (He was without sin, but he wasn't always perfect). We all become perfect through a learning process. Some of us may have an uglier history than others, but in the end it won't matter. We will all be thankful that a Plan was made so that we could learn the effects of sin and still come back to the Father. The Father was probably given a similar opportunity ... I don't know.

Steve O said...

Wow Andrew some great thoughts, I really like how you talked about how the past is the past. I always remember my Dad saying its under the bridge there is nothing you can do to change that, we just have to move on and learn from our mistakes. In my case I have learned from my past so much I would not be the person I am today without the trails of my yesterdays. I really like the thought that the father was given a similar opportunity where can I find more info on that?